For release on March 8, 2016   CONTACT:
Sumerle Davis, Deputy District Attorney
Homicide Unit
Three Sunnyvale officers lawfully shot and killed a murder suspect who aimed a weapon at them, according to a report by the District Attorney’s Office.
Glen Griggs, 53, was fatally shot in 2014 when he barricaded himself in his bedroom as police tried to serve a warrant to investigate him for the murder of his roommate. Griggs, who it turned out was armed with a long pellet gun resembling a rifle or shotgun, threatened the officers and told them he had nothing to lose. “I’m going to go home,’’ he said before raising the weapon at them. “I’m going to go all the way home today.”
Molly Franquemont, Griggs' roommate, remains missing.
The District Attorney’s Office investigates all fatal law enforcement encounters to determine if the lethal force was legal. By law, officers are allowed to use deadly force when they or others are faced with imminent danger.
"Based on this dangerous and volatile situation, the officers were justified in defending themselves and others when they were threatened with bodily injury and death," wrote prosecutor Sumerle Davis in the 37-page public report.
On June 5, 2014, officers arrived at Griggs' North Fair Oaks Avenue residence with a warrant. Officers were extremely cautious. Griggs had a violent and criminal past – including close involvement in the murder of a 6-year-old boy in Florida, and years of bizarre, violent and suicidal behavior. He had threatened to bite officers and give them his numerous infectious diseases and had once set up a booby trap set up to burn officers who entered his room.
This time, Griggs refused to open his door and hid in his bedroom when police entered the home. Griggs brandished what appeared to be a shotgun or rifle at the officers and said he “was not afraid to use it.” After repeated attempts by officers to get Griggs to surrender peacefully, he confronted Detectives Christopher Ketchum, Mark Jorgenson, and Gregory Othon, with his weapon. Another officer fired a less-lethal weapon at him. Griggs was only momentarily stunned. He raised the weapon at the officers, who then fired.
An autopsy showed that Griggs was shot five times. He had a toxic level of methamphetamines in his system.   # # #

©2023 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.