For release on November 3, 2016   CONTACT: Lance Daugherty, Deputy District Attorney Homicide Unit (408) 792-2887     SAN JOSE MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER OF 88-YEAR-OLD WOMAN   Zachary Omar Cuen was charged today with the murder of 88-year-old “Miss Flo” Douglas, after she died from injuries suffered when the 19-year -old attacked her during a home invasion robbery last month.   Ms. Douglas died on October 8, after languishing in the hospital for almost a month.   Cuen, held without bail since he was arrested by Santa Clara County Sheriff’s deputies, faces life in prison if convicted.   “Our deepest condolences go out to Ms. Douglas’s family and to so many in the community who loved and respected her,” prosecutor Lance Daugherty said. “We will do everything within our power to hold this defendant accountable for this savage and senseless crime.”   Soon after the September 12 attack, Ms. Douglas told Sheriff’s Deputies that an unknown man confronted her in her San Jose home and threatened to kill her if she did not give him money. When she told the man she did not have any money, he began punching and kicking her in the head and body.   Douglas suffered several fractured bones and internal hemorrhaging in the eyes and brain as a result of this attack - injuries that lead to her death. Cuen ransacked the residence and took items from the residence. He also took Ms. Douglas's car from the garage and used it to flee the residence. The car was later located abandoned on the victim’s street.   A fingerprint found inside the elderly woman’s home lead to Cuen’s arrest.   # # #  

©2022 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.